Following on from our first look at unusual laws, here is another equally as stupid list of laws that makes you question the sanity of lawmakers through history. From suits of armour in parliament to eating a meal in a place that’s on fire, join us as we take a look at 20 ridiculous laws from around the world.
20. It is illegal to die in the British Houses of Parliament. I’d hate to see punishment. This law is so ridiculous it was 1 voted the most ludicrous British law ever in a poll commissioned by UKTV Gold.
19. In Liverpool, England the only person allowed to appear topless in public is a clerk in a tropical fish store. I guess the store gets a bit hot and steamy.
18. In Scotland, if someone knocks at your door needing to use the toilet by law you must accommodate their needs.
17. Throughout the UK, a pregnant woman may relieve herself anywhere she likes, including a policeman’s hat. I wouldn’t suggest testing this one.
16. It is illegal to enter the British Houses of Parliament in a full suit of armour.
15. In California, a vehicle without a driver cannot exceed 60 miles per hour. Wait, what?
14. In Danville, Pennsylvania all fire hydrants must be checked one hour prior to fires. Ummm, my brain hurts now.
13. In Louisiana, if you bite someone with natural teeth you get tried for ‘simple assault’ but if you are wearing false-teeth then it’s tried ‘aggravated assault’.
12. In Italy, anyone considered ‘obese’ is forbidden from wearing polyester.
11. In Chicago, you can’t have a meal in a place that’s on fire.
10. In Chico, California, anyone that detonates a nuclear device is liable for a $500 fine!
9. In Minnesota, it is illegal to hang male and female underwear on the washing line at the same time.
8. In the Philippines you can be charged with ‘unjust vexation’. To clarify this, let’s look at the definition of ‘vex’: ‘make (someone) feel annoyed, frustrated, or worried, especially with trivial matters. ‘
7. In Pennsylvania, it is illegal to tie a string to a dollar and pull it away from people reaching down for it. Oh, that ole chestnut – hilarious. Hilariously illegal.
6. Russia recently passed a bill making it illegal to tell children that gay people exist – Santa Claus is fine though.
5. In Paraguay, it is legal to duel as long as both combatants are blood donors.
4. In Massachusetts, mourners at a wake cannot eat more than three sandwiches from the buffet.
3. In Salt Lake County, be careful because it’s illegal to walk down the street carrying a violin in a paper bag.
2. In Pennsylvania, you can’t take a nap outside on top of a refrigerator.
1. In the 1950’s, in Indiana USA it was illegal to show Robin Hood films because robbing the rich and giving to the poor was considered an act of communism.
Five bonus laws that aren’t on our Youtube list:
5. In South Carolina, you can’t beat your wife on the court house steps on a Sunday.
4. In Devon Texas, sadly it is against the law to make furniture while naked.
3. In Oklahoma, by law you can’t make silly or ugly faces to a dog.
2. In Victoria, Australia only a licensed electrician is allowed to change a light bulb.
1. In England it is illegal for a cab driver to transport rabid dogs or corpses. Fair enough, really.