Here’s another list of 20 random facts that will have you looking like that guy/girl who knows stuff and things at parties n such. Read on and absorb some strange trivia!
20. According to the World Book Encyclopedia scientists have classified more than one and a half million species of animal.
19. Famous director Francis Ford Coppola’s nephew is Nicolas Cage.
18. It is estimated that between 15,000 and 18,000 new species of animal are discovered every year.
17. Salmon raised on fish farms are given artificial colouring in their food to give their flesh that distinctive orange hue.
16. Every single blue-eyed person has descended from just one European that lived 6,000 to 10,000 years ago.
15. Shakespeare invented more than 1700 words that are now common in the English language.
14. The most expensive wrist watch ever sold went for a mind melting US$7.3 million!
13. The cracking sound a bullwhip makes is actually a small sonic boom.
12. The oldest bras ever found are over 600 years old.
11. Jupiter is almost three times heavier than all the other eight planets combined.
10. In 1954 the Baltimore Colts became the first NFL team to have cheerleaders.
9. Marshmallows date as far back as 2000 BC. Ancient Egyptians mixed sap from the marshmallow plant with nuts and honey.
8. James Buchanan is the only US president to have never been married. He is also the only president from Pennsylvania.
7. Famous author Mark Twain’s real name was Samuel Langhorne Clemens.
6. The coldest ever recorded temperature occurred on July 21, 1983 in Antarctica. It reached a teeth chattering −89.2 °C.
5. The hottest temperature ever recorded on Earth occurred on July 10, 1913 in Death Valley, California. It reached a flesh searing 56.7 °C.
4. Former professional boxer George Foreman called his five sons: George Jr., George III, George IV, George V and George VI.
3. During World War 1, hamburgers were renamed Salisbury steak, frankfurters were called liberty sausages and dachshunds became liberty dogs.
2. The plural form of octopus is octopuses. Octopi has no etymological basis and is not derived from Latin’s plural form.
1. Spearfish, South Dakota holds the record for the fastest recorded temperature rise. It went from −20°C to +7 °C in 2 minutes. That’s an increase of 27°!