5 Baffling Events That Remain Unsolved

Here are 5 baffling events that remain unsolved. Mysterious events capture our imaginations, intriguing us and leaving us wondering about the hidden and unexplained. From mysteriously moving coffins to ominous unexplained deaths, the world holds mysteries that are truly captivating. Listed below are 5 unexplained and mysterious events that have baffled experts, remaining unsolved.

5. The Flannan Isles Lighthouse Disappearances

The Flannan Isles Mystery is is one of the most Baffling Events That Remain Unsolved
The National

On December 26th, 1900, relief workers arrived at the remote Flannan Isles Lighthouse off of the west coast of Scotland only to discover that the lighthouse was deserted and its team nowhere to be found. Captain James Harvey and Joseph Moore, the replacement lighthouse keeper searched the premises in the hopes of finding out what had happened to the missing lighthouse team, but there was no sign of lighthouse keepers Thomas Marshall, Donald MacArthur or James Ducat anywhere.

When Joseph Moore rowed ashore and proceeded to climb the steep stairway to the lighthouse, he later reported that he had an overwhelming feeling of foreboding as he approached. Once he entered the lighthouse, Moore knew that something was amiss. The Door was unlocked and half eaten food was found on the table along with an overturned chair. Two of the three coats that hung in the entry hall were also missing. It seemed as if at least two of the lighthouse keepers had gotten up from the kitchen table and left in a hurry. The disappearance of the three men was reported, and an investigation was soon under way. The final entries in the lighthouse log book were particularly strange. Thomas Marshall wrote of unusually high winds. He went on to say that James Ducat, the chief lighthouse keeper had been unusually quiet and that William McArthur, who was a seasoned mariner, had been crying about the storm. On December 13th, the log entry stated that the three men had been praying, apparently for relief from the storm. This was unusual because the three keepers were highly experienced and they were situated in a lighthouse that was 150 feet above sea level. To make matters even more unusual, there were no storms reported in the area at the time of the entries. The last log entry was made on December 15th and stated that the storm had ended and that “God is over all”.

So what happened to the missing lighthouse team? There are numerous theories about what took place, including accidental drowning, ghostly attacks, sea monsters as well as invasion and abduction by foreign spies. No bodies were ever found and the mystery remains unsolved.

4. The Moving Coffins of Barbados

The Moving Coffins of Barbados is one of the most Baffling Events That Remain Unsolved
Trip Freakz

Starting in 1807, the Chase Family Vault located in the Christ Church Parish cemetery of Barbados started exhibiting some very strange activity. Coffins began shifting about in the vault on their own, with no apparent solution as to how this was happening. The vault itself was built out of blocks of coral and concrete, with a massive marble slab to seal the entry, requiring six or seven strong men to move it. It was purchased in 1808 by the Chase family. Only one person had been placed in the vault before the Chase family purchased it, and it was decided not to disturb the remains but instead leave them where they were resting.

In 1808, infant Mary-Anne Maria Chase died and was interred in the vault within a lead casket. Tragically, Mary-Anne’s sister Dorcas died four years later. Just a month later, family patriarch Thomas Chase also died. Thomas Chase was placed in the vault along with his two daughters in 1812. It was when the vault was opened to inter Thomas Chase that the strange paranormal activity first became known. After the vault was opened, it was discovered that the coffins were in disarray, with the coffin of Dorcas upside down and on end and Mary-Anne’s coffin against the wall. Nothing had been stolen and the bodies were intact. The family thought that it was an act of vandalism and proceeded to put the heavy coffins in their appropriate resting places before sealing the vault with the marble slab. The family thought that was the end of it but in 1816 eleven year old Charles Ames died and arrangements for burial in the vault were made. Once again, when the vault was opened the coffins were found in disarray, tossed haphazardly around the room. The entry to the vault showed no signs of tampering, and as before nothing was stolen and the bodies were untouched. The family again moved the coffins to their original locations and resealed the vault.

The Chase Coffins moving on their own is one of the most Baffling Events That Remain Unsolved

The vault was opened twice more, in 1816 to inter Samuel Brewster and in 1819 to inter Thomasina Clark. On both occasions the coffins were found to have been thrown about. The only coffin left unscathed was that of Thomasina Goddard, the vault’s original occupant. The strange phenomena came to the attention of Lord Combermere, the governor of Barbados, when he witnessed the strange activity during Clark’s funeral. He had the vault thoroughly inspected before the coffins were returned to their proper resting places. White sand was then dusted onto the floor to capture any evidence of tampering. The entrance was then sealed shut with mortar and the governor sealed the wet cement with his signet ring.

Eight months later, the governor ordered the vault reopened to see if the extra measures had prevented the coffins from being disturbed. Once again the coffins were tossed about, some with such force that there was damage to the coffins and the walls. The coffin of Thomas Chase actually blocked the entry and required several men to move it before entry could be gained. Strangely, the white sand on the floor remained undisturbed, with no footprints at all and the seal on the entrance was undamaged. Lord Combermere ordered the bodies in the tomb to be buried in other locations in the cemetery.

The Chase Family Vault is still empty today. Many theories have been put forth about the mystery of the moving coffins. Seismic activity and flooding have both been considered as possibilities, but both theories fall short. No concrete explanation has ever been put forth to explain the mysterious moving coffins of Barbados.

3. Pennsylvania Rain Man Don Decker

The Don Deck case is one of the most Baffling Events That Remain Unsolved
Historic Mysteries

Arguably one of the most well-documented paranormal cases in recent history, the story of Pennsylvania Rain Man Don Decker is both fascinating and frightening. Its credibility is supported by the eyewitness accounts of numerous credible witnesses including several police officers.

In Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania on February 24th, 1983, Don Decker was granted furlough during a stay in jail to attend his grandfather’s funeral. What many people didn’t realize was that Decker’s grandfather James Kishaugh had abused his grandson since he was a small boy. Don initially felt some peace. The man who had tormented him was finally gone. But his sense of peace would soon vanish as strange events began to unfold.

After the funeral, Decker went to stay with family friends Bob and Jeannie Keiffer. Shortly after arriving at their home, Decker had a strange episode that included a deep chill and a trance-like state. Right away, the Keiffers noticed that something odd was going on, especially when they began to witness water suddenly dripping down the walls and from the ceiling of their living room. As the volume of water began to intensify, Bob Keiffer decided to call the owner of the property, Ron Van Why. Van Why was stunned by what he saw. The drips were worsening, and they were now also coming up through the floor and flying sideways through the room. Van Why knew that there were no water pipes in the areas the drips were originating from and was at loss as to what to do about the situation. Van Why called the police, and soon Patrolman Richard Wolbert arrived on the scene along with a second officer and both bore witness to the strange downpour in the living room of the Keiffers.

As they tried to come to some sort of logical conclusion as to where the water was coming from, the officers took notice of Decker, who was still sitting in the living room in a trance-like state. They asked the Keiffers to escort Decker across the street to a nearby restaurant. As soon as Decker left the house, the downpour stopped, a connection that was immediately noticed by the officers and Van Why.

Inside the restaurant, the Keiffers sat Decker, still in his trance-like state, in a chair. Once again, water began to fall from the ceiling and spread across the floor. Restaurant owner Pam Scrofano, having witnessed the happenings at the home of the Keiffers, began to suspect that Decker might be possessed. She placed a crucifix on Decker, who immediately reacted as if he had been burned. The Keiffers led Decker back to their home, carrying the rain with them. Things suddenly took a violent turn when Decker levitated off the ground and was slammed against the wall. Eventually everything seemed to settle down and the rain ceased after Van Why spent some time in prayer with Decker.

After his furlough was over, Decker returned to jail. He soon began to wonder if he could control the appearance of the rain. Almost immediately, water began dripping from the walls and ceiling of his jail cell. Decker could call on the rain at will. A guard confronted Decker about the water in his cell. Decker in turn explained that he could make it rain. He soon found himself with a challenge – make it rain in the warden’s office. When the guard went to see if the warden had experienced anything, he found him sitting in his office, a large area of his shirt saturated with water. Both warden Keenhold and the guard were understandably startled by this unusual display. Keenhold called in Reverend William Blackburn to visit with Decker. After hearing Decker’s story, the Reverend initially accused Decker of making everything up. Almost immediately Decker’s demeanor changed, and his cell filled with a putrid smell. Once again the rain returned. Reverend Blackburn spent several hours praying with Decker, and finally the rain stopped, leaving Decker in tears and exhausted.

Decker never experienced the rain again. He attributed the strange phenomenon to a final act of abuse at the hands of his grandfather.


Continue Reading on Next Page: