Here’s a curated selection of amazing facts to make you look good at dinner parties.
20. A peppier is a waiter whose only job is to go around with a pepper grinder asking to season your dish.
19. A whopping 90% of Britons eat pizza at least once per week.
18. Simpson’s creator Matt Groening had sisters called Lisa and Maggie, his dad was Homer, mother was Marge Wiggum and his grandfather was Abe.
17. If you type ‘Random facts’ or ‘I’m feeling curious’ into Google, you’ll get a button that feeds you fact after fact after fact.
16. Oranges and other citrus can be considered berries. A hesperidium is a modified berry with a tough outer rind. #mindblown #mychildhoodwasalie
15. The oldest clam in the world lived for 507 years!
14. The oldest pair of trousers ever found, date back to Turpan, Xinjiang, China, between the 13th and the 10th century BC.
13. According to the lovely folks over at QI, Mozart kept a fart diary!
12. Potatoes, peppers, eggplant (aubergine) and tomatoes contain nicotine. It is thought that around 9 kgs (20 lbs) of eggplant would be the equivalent of one cigarette.
11. Lipstick manufacturers in the US can legally put arsenic, lead and mercury in their products.
10. There are more than 9000 books missing from the British Library. Considered mislaid, some have not been seen in over 50 years.
9. Snake charming is actually illegal in India.
8. The letters Q, W and X were illegal in Turkey for 85 years!
7. There are 187,888 lakes in Finland
6. If the average person sleeps for eight hours per night and lives for 75 years they would sleep for 9,125 days.
5. A kiwi’s egg is so large it would be like a woman giving birth to a six-year-old.
4. A Toyota Carolla can drive for around 75 kilometres (47 miles) once the empty light comes on.
3. The Cleveland Browns, Detroit Lions, Houston Texans, and Jacksonville Jaguars have never been to the Super Bowl.
2. Former US president, Martin Van Buren (In office 1837 – 1841) didn’t speak English as his first language.
1. A common year is 365 days = 8,760 hours = 525,600 minutes = 31,536,000 seconds.